Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Whirlwind Wien

I've made it a point to try traditional / typical dish(es) of every European country I visit. I specify "European" countries only because there are some bizarre foods out there in Asia that I absolutely refuse to eat. Fried cricket, for instance. Or the heart of a snake.

The traditional dish for Vienna is the Wiener Schnitzel and the description reads like this: "a cutlet of veal that is pounded flat, coated in flour, egg and breadcrumbs, and fried in clarified butter." Sounds a bit sketchy if you ask me. Nor does it sound fancy or appetizing, like the Salzburger Nockerl. But we all know my experience with the Salzburger Nockerl.

I love the Wiener Schnitzel. In fact, I liked everything about Vienna - aside from the biting wind, that is. The looming winter season and the bitter cold will be something I have to acclimate to. And fast. I will also have to get used to those unbelievably petite cups of coffee served in European cafés.


Wiener kaffeehaus (Viennese cafés) have an incredibly long and distinguished history that dates back centuries. These establishments have been havens for artists, musicians, writers and thinkers. And unlike cafés in Prague where you risk your coffee cup being whisked away if it's 3/4 empty, customers can linger for hours. Toting my trusty Let's Go Europe guide, I scoured the streets of Vienna for a well-known kaffeehaus: Café Hawelka. The mélange (coffee with frothy milk - much like the latté) is out of the world. It was just too bad they only serve their speciality, Buchteln (cake with plum marmalade), in the evenings.


Certain buildings and specifically, the sculptures featured in the Great Parterre - the garden behind the Schönbrunn Palace - gave me a taste of what it would be like to travel to Athens and Rome: two places that I must visit before I fly back to Canada.
The Gloriette at Schönbrunn

Statues line the Great Parterre at equal distances and are allegories of different gods and virtues.


Vienna Sightseeing Tours did a great job of introducing the city and its history to us. I only wished I had more time in Vienna to mosey around on my own.

Kunsthistorisches Museum (Museum of Art History)

Reflection of the old on the new



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know yan. what happens when you stop traveling? no more blog? :P

I wish it snowed when we were in Vienna! It would have made the bitter cold so much more tolerable.

- amanda x

Swiftlet said...

It appears so. As for Vienna, it snowed a great deal this weekend - or so I heard from a friend who was there two days ago.

I apologize in advance for the Man Utd. tribute that is the next blog entry. I know you hate them with passion, especially Cristiano Ronaldo ;P