Sunday, January 13, 2008

Ho Hum

Trust the best bus company in Czech Republic to not have a ticket counter in a city like Vienna - where tons of travellers rely on this cheap and efficient mode of transportation to get to/from the two popular destinations. Indeed, I spent more time waiting outside the Vienna Airport for a Big Yellow Bus than exploring the city itself. Reason being that I wanted change my date of departure back to Prague to a day earlier.

My love for Vienna the first time I was there is unbeatable. The city's charm was lost on me this second time around. This is highly likely contributed in part by the fog that followed us all the way from Ljubljana. Also, at that point of our trip, I was ready to take a break from all the downsides of backpacking. I was craving hot, home-cooked food (no more PB-no-J sandwiches, please!), waking up as late as I want, and tired of worrying about accommodation availability and being on schedule to catch trains. Backpackers' spontaneity is only enjoyable when one has no time restriction.

Regardless, Vienna was fun for an entirely different reason: an old friend of Swan's from Slovakia - whom she'd met in New Zealand eight years ago - hopped on a train from Bratislava to meet up with us. We had a blast catching up and reminiscing about our good days in KiwiLand.

All in all, a good way to wrap up our 17-day shenanigan traipsing around the Balkans.

Read more here

No comments: